Monday, February 6, 2017

Pyramid scam job
I made sure that the next job interview was in the center of Paris. An obese lady with diamond ring on every finger received me in her rococo decorated apartment with the view of the Seine. The job announcement had talked about marketing. When she started describing the activity I understood it was nothing else but the good old pyramid scam.

To simplify, it is based on selling goods to other persons who then sell more of these goods to people in their surroundings. The money earned by the second ones comes back to the first ones and so on, until the last comers won’t find any new clients any more. The lady asked if I had friends and relatives who were interested in buying relaxing mattresses and then selling more of them to other friends. I said that I don’t have many well-off friends. Most of them are like me. We didn’t talk about the job any longer. She held me her hand full of rings to say goodbye. Due to her overweight, she avoided any unnecessary moving so I gained the door all alone.


Why not to sell beach metal detectors?

I didn’t lose my faith and was soon contacted by a company who commercialized French made beach metal detectors. Those which treasure hunters use to find ancient or less ancient valuable objects buried on the ground or under the sand. It was a commercial position and they were looking for someone who speaks several languages to do prospecting abroad. I entered in the second floor office and introduced myself to the secretary. She announced me to the director by interphone and then disappeared. So did all the other employees I had met at my arrival. The office had gone silent. I was suddenly all alone in an empty space. Then I heard some whispering and realized that all the employees were hiding behind a wall panel. They were peeping at me. The director entered and everything became normal again. Except me. Until now I had considered myself a quite average looking European woman. For the first time I was asking myself did I really differ that much from others? When discussing with the director I understood that I was the first non-French candidate they had ever seen in the company. I didn’t get the job. Since then I carefully avoid postulating for companies of which the name contains the word “international”. Running shoes international or accounting international, all whatever-internationals always turn out to be the most franco-français ever with no intention to become more international than their name.

No comments:

Post a Comment